For Season 1 of the ViFF Vlogs, check out our Youtube playlist: here

Hello and welcome to season 2 of the ViFF Vlogs. This time, you’ll see that we went to the pawn shop, hocked our V and bought a B, and are now called the ViFF Blogs. We figured we would change up our format for this season and write up what we did for the week. However, that does not mean that were completely throwing away the video aspect entirely. We may film little bits of our week and share them here within the blog post. For example, this week you’ll see a bit of a prototype for the VR project this summer. But before we get to that, we should probably tell you what we did this week.

At the beginning of the week, we were finishing up paperwork and trying to figure out what we wanted to focus on for the summer. Our only requirements were that the project would be about Phenology and Biodiversity on the Menominee Reservation. However, some of us were not as knowledgeable in these subjects as we needed to be, so that required some research into what phenology is. From our research, we learned that it is the study of yearly life cycles over the course of multiple years. Today, it is used as a way to track climate change and see how it affects these life cycles. Of course, phenology has more components to it than just this, but this is just the general idea.

Taking this new knowledge into consideration, one of our members decided to prototype a pitch for the final VR project. The idea is that the user will be able to see a forest modeled from an area in the actual Menominee forest and be able to click on certain plants/trees/animals to learn more, like how to identify them and the cultural importance of them. The prototype shows this by pulling up an image of either Planet Danny DeVito or a Crown. These images represent the user interface that will show this information about these plants.

After putting this together, we decided that we should research some plants that could be used in this project. This required more research, which resulted in us broadening the possible subjects that we would put in the project. Next week we hope to narrow down our subjects and solidify the project.

Anyways, that’s the first week! In a nutshell, it was a lot of paperwork, research, and prototyping. We’re looking forward to the next week and seeing what we decide to do for the project. See you in ViFF Blog 2!