The role of the Sustainable Development Institute (SDI) is inextricably bound to principles of sustainability and Menominee values. Prompted by Menominee’s long tradition of sustainable forestry practices, tribal leaders created the Sustainable Development Institute to encourage, promote, and build upon Menominee approach to sustainable development. Our mission is to foster an understanding of sustainability values through promoting sustainable education, development, and actions, which guides our goal for College of Menominee Nation to be a global leader in sustainable scholarship and practice.
The purpose of the Sustainable Development Institute is to ensure the principles of sustainability committed to by the College of Menominee Nation and integrated in our Menominee culture and values, influence the activities of our Institute, our College, our community, and our tribe. The Sustainable Development Institute supports and advances sustainable ways through a variety of initiatives.
- Educating the community about sustainable ways of life
- Demonstrating through research and practical projects
- Creating understanding of sustainability issues, practices, opportunities, and principals through community engagement and outreach efforts
- Promoting, measuring, and reporting on sound and sustainable institutional practices
- Fostering collaboration within the College, tribal community, and external partners in sustainability
The College of Menominee Nation’s Sustainable Development Institute (SDI) exists as the result of tax exempt donations and grants. Please consider contributing to: Sustainable Development Institute, PO Box 1179, Keshena, WI 54135. The Institute has 501 C3 non-profit status.